Wednesday, July 14, 2010

First Post...

Hello, I'm Shala Caughey and I am enrolled in the July 2010 Adk. course. I'm taking this course because I needed an elective for my M.S.ED degree and this sounds like fun...minus the 'I don't know any one' part.
I am a teacher and I am teaching 3rd grade again for my second year. I have also taught 4th and 5th. I went into teaching for the opposite reason that most people join this profession; instead of having a wonderful teacher who inspired me, I had a couple terrible teachers who inspired me. Two of my 6th grade teachers were cruel, miserable and degrading to students. They were my inspiration. Even as a 6th grader I knew that if I were a teacher, I'd NEVER treat students like they did. And, I never have.
My professional goals are quite simple: do the best I can in any position I am teaching, and be the one to make a child's day, not the one who ruins it. I would also eventually like to work more with curriculum and perhaps work with my school to create integrated curriculum programs for all grades. I know that teaching will be my career; it's the only "job" I've ever had that's never felt like work. It's just a part of who I am, and I'm a better person for it. I may stray at some point partake in Past-Life Regression Therapy (I know that makes me sound kooky but I'm fascinated by it), but will return to teaching. I'd be lost if I wasn't teaching!
My goals for this course are to make some new friends, learn more about myself, enjoy my time away from technology, and not let my bad shoulder ruin any of the activities we may do. I also am extremely interested in the history aspect of this course, as I am a self-proclaimed history geek. I would also like to more ways to incorporate the outdoors with my teachings; it kills me to be inside the classroom learning about water cycles when it's 80 degrees and sunny out!!

1 comment:

  1. Good work! Nice to see you were successful Shala. Thanks for persevering. - KK

    ReplyDelete